Seventy witnesses are involved in the case of a man accused of slavery and sexual servitude, a court in Sydney has heard.
- James Davis is charged with several historic slavery charges
- Police alleged his victim suffered continued physical, sexual and psychological abuse
- Magistrate Margaret Quinn granted a 10-week adjournment
Former ADF soldier James Davis was arrested in Armidale in March, accused by Australian Federal Police of manipulating a woman for “cult” purposes.
Mr. Davis is charged with enslaving a person, owning a slave and causing a person to enter or remain in bondage.
It is alleged that he enslaved the woman in the Sydney eastern suburbs of Maroubra between 2013 and 2015.
In a brief mention of the case to the central local court, a prosecutor requested a 12-week adjournment.
The court was told that 70 witnesses were involved in the case and that investigators will need to conduct forensic examinations, including on cell phones.
Magistrate Margaret Quinn said it was “long enough” and granted an adjournment of 10 weeks at the end of July.
Mr. Davis did not appear in court.
The local Armidale court has previously been informed that he had “done nothing wrong” and that he was living with multiple partners in “a consensual polyamorous relationship” which “may include BDSM”.
During an unsuccessful bail application in mid-March, his lawyer told the court that the case was “very defensible”, strange as it sounds, and that one of his partners was pregnant with 17 weeks.
Mr. Davis was a prison guard with Corrections between 2008 and 2014.
Police have previously said the alleged victim was constantly the victim of physical, sexual and psychological abuse and degradation.
She was also allegedly engaged in unpaid prostitution under the coercive control of Mr. Davis, as part of a “lifestyle of bondage”.
Mr Davis refers to himself as the patriarch of a group known as the “House of Cadifor,” investigators said.
During a search of his home outside Armidale, police seized documents, phones, a camera and computers.
They said he lived there with six women who had signed “slavery contracts”.
The case returns to court on July 28.