Guru Tegh Bahadur (April 18, 1621 – November 24, 1675) was the ninth of the ten gurus of Sikhism.
On November 24, 1675, Guru Teg Bahadur was publicly executed by order of Aurangzeb while opposing religious persecution.
Guru Tegh Bahadur’s day of martyrdom is also celebrated as Shaheedi Divas every year on November 24..
Poet, thinker and warrior, Guru Teg Bahadur brought the light of holiness and divinity to Guru Nanak and the Sikh gurus who followed.
To spread the message of Sikhism, Guru Teg Bahadur traveled extensively across the Indian subcontinent, establishing several new preaching centers.
On the day of Guru Tegh Bahadur’s martyrdom, here are 10 things to know about the Sikh Guru.
1. Guru Tegh Bahadur is revered by Sikhs as Srisht-di-Chadar (Protector of Mankind).
2. Guru Tegh Bahadur had become Guru on April 16, 1664, following in the footsteps of his great-nephew and the eighth Guru, Guru Har Krishan.
3. Guru Tegh Bahadur founded the city of Chak-Nanki in Punjab, which was later enlarged into the city of Anandpur Sahib by the tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh.
4. The original name of Guru Tegh Bahadur was Tyag Mal. He spent his childhood in Amritsar.
5. At the age of 13, Guru Tegh Bahadur accompanied his father in a battle as his village was attacked by Painde Khan and the Mughals.
6. After the victory in the Battle of Kartarpur, Tyag Mal was renamed Tegh Bahadur.
7. Guru Tegh Bahadur had resisted the forced conversion of non-Muslims to Islam during Aurangzeb’s reign.
8. Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib and Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib in Delhi are the execution and cremation sites of Guru Tegh Bahadur.
9. Guru Tegh Bahadur’s term as Guru was from 1665 to 1675.
10. There are 115 hymns of Guru Tegh Bahadur in Guru Granth Sahib.
Quotes from Guru Tegh Bahadur:
Abandon your head, but do not abandon those whom you have set out to protect. Sacrifice your life, but don’t give up your faith.
True awareness of the real nature of this material world, its perishable, transient and illusory aspects best arises on a suffering person.
For whom praise and blame are the same, and on whom greed and attachment have no effect. Consider it only enlightened that pain and pleasure do not trap. Consider such a saved person.
Consider the man who meditates on God day and night as his image. Between God and His servant there is no difference – recognize that to be true.
The person who has renounced his selfishness by recognizing God as creator, will obtain deliverance; be sure of this truth, 0 my spirit.
All that has been created will be destroyed; everyone will perish, today or tomorrow. Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, and renounce all other entanglements.
If the hands, feet or body are covered with dust, they are cleaned by washing them with water. if the clothes are made unclean, with the help of soap, they are washed from uncleanness. If buddhi (intellect) is defined by sin, the love of the Name will cleanse it.
You were not born a man, but you did not remember God for even a moment. You have become a slave to the satisfaction of lust and your feet are chained.
man, what will be your fate? In the name of God, you did not lend your ear to this world, and you have remained totally absorbed in sensual pleasures and you have not turned your mind away from them.